Friday 9 December 2016

Kabir

Kabir, the Mystique Poet 

(OSHO on Kabir – Kabir Says I have no desire to be anything else. Let me be whatsoever I am, whatsoever God wantsme to be. If he wants me to be a weaver, that’s why I am a weaver. I was born a weaver, and I will die as a weaver)

Kabir was  a mystic poet and saint of India. The name Kabir comes from Arabic al-Kabīr which means 'The Great' – the 37th name of God in Islam.

   Kabir was born to a Brahmin widow at Lahartara near Kashi (modern day Varanasi). The widow abandoned Kabir to escape dishonor associated with births outside marriage. He was brought up in a family of poor Muslim weavers Niru and Nima. 

Vaishnava saint Ramananda accepted Kabir as his disciple; when Ramananda died, Kabir was 13 years old.

   It is not known in detail what sort of spiritual training Kabir may have received. He did not become a sadhu, nor did he ever abandon worldly life. Kabir chose instead to live the balanced life of a householder and mystic, a tradesman and contemplative.

    The ideological messages in Kabir's legends appealed to the poor and oppressed.  His greatest work is the Bijak (the "Seedling"), an idea of the fundamental one. This collection of poems elucidates Kabir's universal view of spirituality. Though his vocabulary is replete with Hindu spiritual concepts, such as Brahmankarma and reincarnation, he vehemently opposed dogmas, both in Hinduism and in Islam. He often advocated leaving aside the Qur'an and Vedas and simply following Sahaja path, or the Simple/Natural Way to oneness in God. He believed in the Vedantic concept of atman, but unlike earlier orthodox Vedantins, he spurned the Hindu societal caste system and murti-pujan (idol worship), showing clear belief in both bhakti and Sufi ideas. The hallmark of Kabir's works consists of his two line couplets, known as the 'Kabir ke Dohe'. The Dohas reflect the deep philosophical thinking of the poet saint.


Enjoy these couplets (Dohas)

Kabir


Since the English translations  lose  much of their charm, both the hindi and it’s English version  are listed. For the want of space only few of them are included .

1.      Kaal Kare So Aaj Kar, Aaj Kare So Ub
Pal Mein Pralaya Hoyegi, Bahuri Karoge Kub
[Tomorrow's work do today, today's work now
if the moment is lost, the work be done how]

2.      Aisee Vani Boliye, Mun Ka Aapa Khoye
Apna Tan Sheetal Kare, Auran Ko Sukh Hoye
[Speak such words, sans ego's ploy
Body remains composed, giving the listener joy]

3.      Dheere Dheere Re Mana, Dheere Sub Kutch Hoye
Mali Seenche So Ghara, Ritu Aaye Phal Hoye
[Slowly slowly O mind, everything in own pace happens
The gardiner may water with a hundred buckets, fruit arrives only in its season]

4.      Bada Hua To Kya Hua, Jaise Ped Khajoor
Panthi Ko Chaya Nahin, Phal Laage Atidoor
[In vain is the eminence, just like a date tree
No shade for travelers, fruit is hard to reach]

5.      Pothi Padh Padh Kar Jag Mua, Pandit Bhayo Na Koye
Dhai Aakhar Prem Ke, Jo Padhe so Pandit Hoye
[Reading books where everyone died, none became anymore wise
One who reads the word of Love, only becomes wise]

6.      Dukh Mein Simran Sab Kare, Sukh Mein Kare Na Koye
Jo Sukh Mein Simran Kare, Tau Dukh Kahe Ko Hoye
[In anguish everyone prays to Him, in joy does none
To One who prays in happiness, how sorrow can come]

7.      Mangan Maran Saman Hai, Mat Koi Mange Beekh
Mangan Se Marna Bhala, Yeh Satguru Ki Seekh]
[Begging is like perishing, none should go imploring
It is better to die than beg, this is Guru's teaching]

8.      Jab Mein Tha Tab Hari Nahin, Jab Hari Hai Mein Nahin
Sab Andhiyara Mit Gaya, Jab Deepak Dekhya Mahin
[When "I" was then Hari was not, Now Hari "is" and "I" am not
All the darkness (illusions) mitigated, When I saw the light (illumination) within.]

About Kabir


Amongst the several saints that have blessed our country, Kabir Das, the well known mystic poet, deserves a major credit for bringing about a revolution. He was a man of principles and practiced what he preached. People called him by different names like Das, sant, bhakta etc. As Das, he was referred to as the servant of humanity and thus a servant of divinity. This article, we will provide you with the biography of Kabir and some of the interesting facts about him.

Kabir played the role of a teacher and social reformer by the medium of his writings, which mainly consisted of the two line verses called Dohas. He had a strong belief in Vedanta, Sufism, Vaishnavism and Nath sampradaya. He applied the knowledge that he gained through the various experiences of his life. He was always in the pursuit of truth and nothing could hold him back. Kabir was well known for his
religious affiliation. Read further to know about the life history of Sant Kabir. 

There are plenty of legends associated with the birth and death of Kabir (1440 -1518). Some people are of the say that, he was born in a Muslim weaver family, while others say that he was born to a Brahmin widow. It is said that, when he headed his way for heaven, tussle took place between the Hindus and Muslims over the issue of performance of the last rites. Eventually, in the memory of the great Kabir, his tomb as well as a Samadhi Mandir, both were constructed, which are still standing erect next to each other. According to another legend, in a short span of time before his death, Kabir took a holy bath in the two rivers, namely Ganga and Karmnasha, so as to wash away his sins as well as the good deeds. 

Kabir’s Philosophy 

Kabir's poetry is a reflection of his philosophy about life. His writings were mainly based on the concept of reincarnation and karma. Kabir's philosophy about life was very clear-cut. He believed in living life in a very simplistic manner. He had a strong faith in the concept of oneness of God. He advocated the notion of Koi bole Ram Ram Koi Khudai.... The basic idea was to spread the message that whether you chant the name of Hindu God or Muslim God, the fact is that there is only one God who is the creator of this beautiful world. More…

[Kamal, son of Kabir 

A beautiful story about Kamal  …..

When Kabir first entered into nothingness, he immediately wrote a beautiful poem, in which comes the sentence, "The dewdrop has fallen into the ocean." His own sentences are very beautiful:

Herat Herat Hey Sakhi, Rahya Kabir Herayi -- "O, my friend, my beloved, I had gone to search, to seek myself, but something strange has happened. Rather than finding myself, I have disappeared just like a dewdrop disappearing in the ocean."

Bunda Samani Samunda Men So Kat Heri JayI -- "The dewdrop has disappeared in the ocean. Now how can you find the dewdrop again?"

That was his first experience. Then he became more and more aware of the ocean, and forgot all about the dewdrop. Before dying he called his son, Kamal. He was certainly rightly named by Kabir. Kamal means a miracle -- and the son of Kabir was certainly a miracle. He called Kamal and said to him, "I am going to leave my body soon. Before I leave, you have to correct one of my poems. Just a little change...
"I have written, BUNDA SAMANI SAMUNDA MEN -- the dewdrop has entered into the ocean. You have to change it. Just reverse it. SAMUNDA SAMANA BUNDA MEN -- the ocean has disappeared into the dewdrop -- because now I know from the other side.

"My first experience was from this shore; now I am talking from the further shore, the beyond. Now I know the dewdrop has not fallen into the ocean, it is the ocean that has fallen into the dewdrop."

Kamal said to him, "I have always suspected that line. I can show you my copy." And he showed Kabir. He had crossed out that line.

Kabir said, "You are really a kamal. You are a miracle. You came to know it before me." The line was crossed out.

Kamal said, "I was suspicious from the very beginning, that this is the statement of a beginner, the first statement when he comes to see the nothingness. But when he becomes nothingness, this statement will be absolutely wrong. So now that you have come to your senses, just before dying, I can rejoice that you are no longer just a beginner, you have become part of the whole." Then he wrote the new line: the ocean has fallen into the dewdrop.

Kabir had named his only son "Kamal," a miracle, because the young man was certainly not an ordinary man. At one point, even Kabir was angry with him, because he used to raise questions which even Kabir could not answer. And this was always happening when thousands of Kabir's followers would be there. His own son would stand up and make him feel very embarrassed because he was not able to answer the question.

One day he was very angry -- it must have happened before his enlightenment -- and he said to Kamal, "Buda Vansh Kabir Ka -- my family ends with me, Kamal!"

He means the same by "my family" as what Zen people call their heritage, their family, their masters. They are not talking about their parents.

Kabir said, "My family ends with me. I cannot trust you."

Kamal said, "If you cannot trust me, you cannot trust yourself. But because you have disowned me by making this statement, I will not be staying in your cottage. I am going to make a small hut just next to you, so when gullible people come to you and they are going back home, I can deprogram them." And he remained just in front of Kabir's house, and because everybody knew he was Kabir's son, before leaving Kabir they would go to pay tribute to his son also.

Even the emperor of Varanasi was a devotee of Kabir. Kabir was a poor man, a weaver. The emperor of Varanasi asked one day, when he had not seen Kamal for a few days -- he was coming almost every day to listen to Kabir, and he saw that Kamal was missing -- he asked Kabir, "Where is Kamal?"

Kabir said, "It is a sad story. I was just angry, and I told him that my family ends with me, and he immediately left, saying, `If your family ends with you, I no longer belong to your family.' He remains outside, just in front, disturbing my disciples. He is a pain in the neck! Now he has gone outside, so I cannot even say anything. He just sits there."

The emperor of Kashi said -- Kashi is the older name of Varanasi -- "I would go and see him, but what is your problem with him?"


Kabir said, "Thousands of problems. People come with money, diamonds, emeralds, and all kinds of valuable things, and I don't need them, so I refuse them. And he is just sitting by my side, and he tells those people, `Okay, if he is refusing, bring them to me. Anyway it doesn't look good that you have come to offer and you are going rejected. Offer them to me.'

"So I reject, and he goes on collecting. And I told him that this is not right, but he said, `You think about yourself. I know on my own accord what is right and what is wrong. Don't tell me! I am not your disciple, I am your son.'"

So the emperor said, "Don't be worried, I will go and see and check." So he brought with him a very big diamond, and he told Kamal, "I have brought this most valuable diamond in the country as an offering to you."

He said, "You can put it into the bamboos of the roof of my hut. If somebody does not take it away, it will remain there. Once in a while I can see that I have got the most valuable stone in my hut. I don't have much decoration here."

The emperor thought, "Kabir seems to be right, he is very clever and cunning. He is not taking it, but he is telling me, `Just put it there. If somebody does not take it away, I will enjoy seeing it.' And as I go out he will take it, that is certain." So the emperor stayed away for one week, did not come.
After one week he came, and he asked Kamal, "Where is that diamond?"

Kamal said, "If somebody has taken it, then it will not be in the roof; otherwise it is bound to be in the roof. You have put it there yourself, so you can find it easily. I had no opportunity to look at it. I am looking inwards and your diamond is outside."

The emperor said, "Great!" And he looked and found the diamond exactly where he had put it in the roof.
He told Kabir, "You are in a misunderstanding. Your son is really a miracle. I was thinking that he was cheating me, deceiving me, but he has not even looked at the diamond, to say nothing of touching it. He said to me, `If anybody has taken it, then I don't know, because I am looking inwards. Anybody can take it. There is no guard on the hut, there is no door. And sometimes I have to go to the Ganges to take a bath, and anybody can take it. So if it is still there, you will find it.' And I have found it; it was there. He has not even looked at it. So your whole idea is wrong. Your idea that he is interested in wealth is absolutely wrong."

Finally, Kabir had to go to the hut and ask Kamal, "Forgive me, come back. I was wrong. You were just trying to test me, whether I get angry or not -- and I certainly got angry. I thought it was your greed."
Kamal said, "I am your blood, your bones, your very marrow. How could you ever think that I should be greedy? You became angry, and you exposed yourself, that all your teaching not to be angry, not to be greedy, is just superficial.

"It is not your concern. If I am taking things, why are you interested? There must be some greed in you. Just as anger came up, your greed may come up any moment. If there was no greed in you, you would have simply witnessed that Kamal is taking things, that's all. It is Kamal's business to take care of his own being, it is not your business. I'm not your disciple. I am a master on my own authority."

And Kabir looked into himself and agreed with Kamal: "Perhaps you are right. My being interested and being angry that you are gathering money shows my greed, not your greed, shows my anger, not your anger. And you left so joyously, touching my feet, saying, `If you say your family ends with yourself, then a new family starts with me, just after you.'"

So Kamal was persuaded back into the family. He was the successor of Kabir, a far greater man, far more aware, alert, far more conscious. But strangely, it is Kabir who is remembered. He has an organized religion following him -- KABIR PANTH, "Path of Kabir." Kamal has nothing. He never created any following. Although hundreds of people listened to him, he remained only a friend. He helped them, shared his light with them, but never gave any discipline, any commandments, any principles to be followed.]

Poems  by Kabir


Kabir’s is a simple yet spiritualistic language. He talks for ordinary in their own language. Just as his dohas, his poems are equally soft sounding.  Enjoy them ..

 

Do not go to the garden of flowers

Do not go to the garden of flowers!
O Friend ! go not there;
In your body is the garden of flowers.
Take your seat on the thousand petals of the lotus,
and there gaze on the Infinite Beauty.
 

Are you looking for me?

Are you looking for me? I am in the next seat.
My shoulder is against yours.

you will not find me in the stupas, not in Indian shrine
rooms, nor in synagogues, nor in cathedrals:
not in masses, nor kirtans, not in legs winding
around your own neck, nor in eating nothing but vegetables.
When you really look for me, you will see me instantly –
you will find me in the tiniest house of time.
Kabir says: Student, tell me, what is God?
He is the breath inside the breath.

A drum never touched by hands, beating, and I can’t hear it!
The purpose of labor is to learn;
when you know it, the labor is over.
The apple blossom exists to create fruit; when that
comes, the petal falls.

The musk is inside the deer, but the deer does not
look for it:
it wanders around looking for grass.

O servant where dost thou seek me?
O servant, where dost thou seek Me?
Lo ! I am beside thee.
I am neither in temple nor in mosque:
I am neither in Kaaba nor in Kailash:
Neither am I in rites and ceremonies,
nor in Yoga and renunciation.
If thou art a true seeker, thou shalt at once see Me:
thou shalt meet Me in a moment of time.
Kabir says, ‘ O Sadhu ! God is the breath of all breath.’

 

There's no road to tread,
No traveler ahead,
Neither a beginning, nor an end.
There's no water, no boat, no boatman, no cord; 
No earth is there, no sky, no time, no bank, no ford.

You have forgotten the Self within,
Your search in the void will be in vain; 
In a moment the life will ebb
And in this body you won't remain.

Be ever conscious of this, O friend,
You've to immerse within your Self; 
Kabir says, salvation you won't then need,
For what you are, you would be indeed. 

(The centres of major branches of Kabirpanthis are the Kabir Chaura based in Varanasi with a branch at Maghar, founded by Shruta Gopal Sahib Biddupur seat founded by Jagu Sahib)

[Nasruddin Jokes :

"I sent my little boy for two pounds of plums and you only sent a pound and a half. Are you scales correct, Mulla?"
"My scales are all right, madam," said Mulla Nasrudin. "Have you weighed your little boy?"

Please, mister, will you ring that doorbell for me?" asked little Nasrudin.The gentleman obliged with a beaming smile.
"Now, sonny, what else should I do?"
"Run like hell!" said Nasrudin.

"Got a cigarette, Mulla?"
"Here, take the pack."
"Thanks. Got a match?"
"You can keep this lighter."
"Thanks again. Say, have you got an oil well or something?"
"No," said Mulla Nasrudin. "only lung cancer."

 

Mulla Nasrudin had his suspicions. One day he left work early, and sure enough, when he

arrived home, he found a strange hat and umbrella in the hallway and his wife on the

couch in the arms of another man.

 Wild for revenge, the Mulla picked up the man's umbrella and snapped it in two across

his knee.

"There now I hope it rains."]


 

No comments:

Post a Comment